Kinder through to Year 12 Education
Print this page

School History

On 23 September, 1954 about twenty people met at the Ulverstone RSL Hall with the vision of providing Christian education for their children.  The meeting established an Association for Christian Education and the membership fee was fixed at $2 per year.  The early members of the Association belonged to the Reformed Churches on the coast.  They were convinced, however, that the work could not be done alone and the Association now has members from some 35 church congregations along the North West Coast.  Most Christian church groups are represented.

From the start it was envisaged that the School be open to all children, regardless of social status, ethnic background, or church affiliation.

In 1972 the Association purchased 2.5 hectares of land off Leighlands Avenue.  In the same year the Penguin, Ulverstone and Devonport Associations officially pooled resources and became the Association of Christian Parent Controlled Schools on the North West Coast of Tasmania.

Three years later the Association was incorporated and in 1976, the School commenced with 36 students from Prep to Year 6, and two staff members.

In 1982 the School extended to Secondary education with one Year 7 class.  In 1985 the first Year 10 graduates left the School and in 1986 the first Secondary class was double streamed.

During 1992 the Board held discussions with the Romaine Christian School Board of Management Burnie which led to Romaine Burnie becoming a full annex of Leighland.  Romaine became Leighland Christian School Burnie.

The Ulverstone and Burnie campuses have a common curriculum and share staff and resources.

In November of 1993 the Association purchased the Wivenhoe State School and this is now the Burnie campus of Leighland Christian School.